Silver plans are another one of four "metal" levels of coverage established by the Affordable Care Act. These plans have proven to be very popular.
Silver plans tend to have affordable monthly insurance premiums. However, their out-of-pocket costs are still more expensive than a Gold or Platinum plan. Specifically, 70% of your medical expenses are paid for by a Silver plan, meaning that you will have to pay for the remaining 30% of these costs.
As with all four plans, your monthly premium could be lowered greatly if you qualify for the Premium Tax Credit. The Premium Tax Credit is like a “discount” applied to your monthly insurance rate and paid for by the government. The main factor in determining your eligibility is your annual household income. Depending on the state you live in, your income must be at or below 4x the Federal Poverty Line to qualify for the Premium Tax Credit.
Additionally, one of the reasons why Silver plans are so popular is that you can also get a similar “discount” on your out-of-pocket costs. Silver plans are the only ones that are eligible for the Cost Sharing Reduction, or when the government helps pay for out-of-pocket health care costs such as coinsurance, copayments, and deductibles. To qualify for the Silver plan’s Cost Sharing Reductions, your income must be at or below 2.5x the Federal Poverty Line.
Remember that the only difference among plans is the amount you pay, not the quality of health care you receive. By law, all four plans must meet the Ten Essential Health Benefits, which includes a free wellness visit and preventative care.
Only you can decide what type of plan is best for your individual or family needs. It is important to consider your current health, lifestyle, and medical risk factors. That said, it is always best to think in terms of the total cost of the plan, which is the monthly premium, plus your anticipated out-of-pocket costs when using the insurance.
Silver plans are popular and could be the right choice if you:
Keep in mind that no matter which metal level you choose, under Obamacare, all plans have the same maximum out-of-pocket limits. These limits protect you financially, especially if you need a lot of medical care. For 2023, the annual limit is $8,550 for an individual, and $17,100 for a family, including deductibles. Silver plans pays for 70% percent of covered medical expenses before reaching the limit, and then 100% of all covered expenses after reaching the limit.
To start comparing Silver plans, enter your zip code or call (833) 472-0396 to speak with an agent.